Monday, September 27, 2010

Miss Guatemala Statement on Project Runway

I've been very interested in the latest season of Project Runway because my friend from Cleveland Institute of Art is currently a designer on the show this season. I've had a hard time getting into the show before but from what I've heard this really is one of the best seasons.

The recent comments by Nina Garcia really troubled me because it was so thoughtless and hurtful to call out someone's nationality as a basis for why a design would be bad. It seems counter-intuitive that a show that embraces and cherishes individuality would be so careless in allowing their judge's comments to include critic that has anything to do with their race, gender, and ethnicity. I was deeply disappointed to say the least.

However, I know that Nina Garcia will be receiving many letters and e-mails on the topic so I hope that she apologies in the next show.

No comments: